I’ve just spent a little time looking back over my Instagram feed from March and thinking we had a pretty good month. Of course that’s the beauty of Instagram, it’s like a ‘best bits’ montage, it’s always going to show you the rose tinted view of life and there were plenty of less than fabulous moments in March too, believe me. When Mabel used one of my lipsticks to colour in Greta’s entire body for example, we were not the perfect picture of family happiness…… #Instacrap? But sometimes it is nice to just focus on the positive, like I do in my weekly Happy Days round ups. It gives me a little warm fuzzy feeling and you know, if I just focused on how many time I had to ask Mabel to put her shoes on or how many times Greta has weed on me, I would probably just give up and run away.
So March went pretty well, but April has a lot of potential, I can feel it in my bones! I’ve got high hopes for April, so I’m putting it out there, in the form of a list obvs…
My intentions for April 2016
- Continue trying to claw back some spontaneity in my life. I’ve written about this before, so I won’t bore you, but I’m trying to bring a bit more excitement back into our lives. It’s hard to do things off the cuff with three kids in tow, but it’s not impossible. Sometimes we need to stop thinking and just start doing. What about her nap? What if he needs a feed?….. it doesn’t matter, it will work itself out, just do it and do it right now!
- Prioritise fun. It’s so easy to lose the fun, I didn’t realise how easily it could slip away. You can quickly get bogged down in all the boring day to day crap that needs doing and forget why we even had kids in the first place, which is to love them, enjoy them and have fun! So I’m reminding myself by making fun a priority. Obviously the boring crap still needs doing, but most of it can wait a minute while we dance round the house and sing let it go at the top of our voices, or take a quick trip to the park, or turn into the tickle monster.
- Look after myself. I need to start being a bit healthier, mainly because I know I will feel so much better when I do. If I start looking after myself I’ll have more energy and be in a better frame of mind. You have to care for yourself before you can care for anyone else…. I’m sure somebody said that once. I’m not talking about launching myself into a full on diet and fitness routine, I’m making one small change at a time, because that’s really all I can deal with right now on top of everything else, but I figure that something is better than nothing and it will all add up. I’m starting with drinking more water and I’m going to try and post every week about my journey back to health, to keep myself on track.
- Be a more organised blogger. It would be nice to have a bit more of an idea of what I’m going to post when and possibly even have some posts written in advance, rather than constantly winging it as I do. I feel like all I do here is write about our daily lives and make lists, which is good, I started this blog to be a record of our lives and I’m already proud of the archive of pictures and stories that we will all have to look back on in the future. But sometimes I want to write a bit more about a subject, like breastfeeding or baby sleep (I have a lot to say about everything basically) and I don’t seem to be able to fit those posts in. I don’t know exactly how I’m going to manage this organisation, I need a day to just focus on writing, but that’s not going to happen! I will just try to fit it in where I can and probably still end up chasing my tail but hopefully in a more organised fashion?!
- Maybe possibly start doing something with the house. We’ve lived here for 4 months now and done pretty much nothing to it except unpack our things and get some essential mantainance work done in the loft. It would be really nice to start putting our stamp on it a little bit. The only things that put me off are we don’t have a lot of time for interior design, we barely find the time to hoover, and we have kids, so whatever we do will not stay nice for long. But, I’m still hoping to do a few bits to make it feel more homely. I have the vague intention to start with the dining room because it the room with the least amount of ‘stuff’ so t should be the easiest to do. I’ll keep you posted.
- Give Mabel the best 4th birthday ever! My baby girl turns 4 on the 8th April. We have a little (Star Wars themed!) party planned at home and we always make a home made cake. We are also going to Chessington theme park for a day out to celebrate and they’ll probably be other mini celebrations going on over her birthday weekend too. I think she’s getting to an age where she’d quite like a soft play centre party with her friends like the ones she’s been to, but I’m personally not a fan. I’ve said next year we can hire a hall for her 5th birthday and she can have her whole class if she likes.
So here’s to a fun-filled and hopefully sun-filled April!
Join the fun
Get a weekly round-up and exclusive content from our home educating, slow living, everyday adventure seeking life...