Well this has been the quickest week of my life I’m pretty sure! We’ve all been on a bit of a come down after Butlins and I think the girls are still recovering if I’m honest… it took me over an hour to get Mabel to sleep tonight because she’s over tired. Anyway, it’s been a bit of a mixed week, but here are the edited highlights!
- On Monday we tried to offset a bit of the crazy Butlins fun and went to the Historic Dockyard for a bit of a history educational trip (still fun if you ask me!) and had a look around HMS Victory. We live really close and have an annual pass so we can pop in as and when we like which is great because there is so much there to look at and explore but a couple of hours at a time is more than enough for the kids before they go crazy.
- Greta saw a picture of a scorpion and said ‘ooh an Antelope!’ which cracked Carl and I up, firstly because we had no idea that she knew the word antelope and secondly because if there were ever two animals that were more different from each other….
- Ernie is nearly 6 months old and all of a sudden is moving himself around (not quite crawling but almost), rocking on his hands and knees, trying to pull himself up to stand, playing with toys (waving them around and chewing them mostly), putting his arms out to us when he wants to come for a cuddle, eating a bit of fruit and veg, babbling, saying dada!!! I’m so so proud but at the same time I can’t help feeling like it has all gone far too quick this time and I’m not quite ready for the next stage.
- I have a new planner and there’s nothing like a new planner to make you feel like you are about to take over the world. I’ve decided to follow the crowd and give the bullet journal a go. I loved setting it up (coloured pens and rulers!), although it took me what felt like an absolute age and now I’ve been using it for a few days I’m loving it. It would be a bit premature to say it has changed my life (although it does remind me that it would be a good idea to load the dishwasher before I go to bed, it doesn’t actually do it for me unfortunately), but I’m hopeful, it has the potential to make me a better person. I was massively inspired to start my bullet journal by this video by Sarah over at Taming Twins, so go and have a look if you’ve never heard of it before. If you’re interested at all at seeing inside my bullet journal and hearing how I use it then let me know if you’d like a post or a video and I will get on it.
- I’ve had a bit of a week of experimenting in the kitchen this week. I had a go making green smoothie ice lollies, which went down a treat with the girls (although they were very messy) and I was so chuffed I’d managed to get some sneaky veg into them. I’ve also been trying out some different milkshake combinations and the girls were more than happy to be my little taste testers (mango, pineapple and coconut was a favourite). Greta is a huge fruit fan, but Mabel is more likely to turn her nose up at anything that isn’t a strawberry, so I’m working at getting her fruit into her but making it seem like a treat. More tweaking is needed, but I may even do some recipe posts (or videos) if my crazy ideas ever work out, so let me know if that’s something you would like to see. We also picked up an ice cream maker from Aldi on Thursday (£15 bargain!) and I can’t wait to try out some of the recipe ideas I have in my head to make the girls’ favourite summer treats a bit more nutritious.
- Of course, with milkshake recipes and bullet journaling going on this week, I’ve been all over Pinterest, pinning things left right and centre, and I’ve been loving it! I am really loving pinterest at the moment for alllll the life inspiration and basically just because categorising things and making pretty boards is really satisfying. Come and find me if you like a random eclectic mix of boards like ‘Star Wars birthday party ideas’ next to ‘frozen summer treats’.
- I hate to mention videos again this week (ok no I don’t, that’s a lie) sorry if I’m getting boring, but I think I am getting a little bit addicted to making little short and sweet home movies. I made one last weekend as part of my This Little Big Life project and linky that is now open (so pop over and have a look if you fancy joining in), and I made another tiny day in the life video on Thursday. It was meant to be our day in 30 seconds like last time but I shot too much footage so it ended up being our day in 60 seconds. I’m going to try and do it once a week, or as often as I can at least, because I just love the process and the outcome, and with practice I can only get better.
Join the fun
Get a weekly round-up and exclusive content from our home educating, slow living, everyday adventure seeking life...